Racing Dilema

Mr Beef

Hi

Before I start I am in no way complaining, moaning or spitting out the dummy.

In one of my heats last night I was leading by a considerable margin and ended up passing a couple of back markers, however on the last bend of the last lap I was trying to get past another when I was caught by someone who I had lapped, and ended up on the infield. By the time I had recovered I crossed the line in 6th place.

After much swearing and cursing at the monitor I had a look at the replay and put it down to a pure racing accident, FILTERED happens.

In the final I started from the third row from the back and managed to get into 8th place when I was involved in an accident and once again ended up on the infield. By the time I had got off the sleepers I was in last place and had been lapped by a few drivers. I managed to claw my way up to 16th and ended up behind a driver who had lapped me and I was lapping at a similar speed.

Here's the dilema.

Do I sit behind him and wait for him to make a mistake, or do I try move him with my bumper risking spinning him and ruining his race and maybe get a complaint against me, bearing in mind I dont know if he is first or tenth :shrug:

Please feel free to comment and maybe admin would like to clarify the rules on this situation.

:2:

Mr Beef

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scrapman53

Just to add to that.

When I'm racing these, I don't know who is a lap up or a lap down. I'm concentrating that much on where I'm going that I don't get time to look at the leaderboard!

Hi

Before I start I am in no way complaining, moaning or spitting out the dummy.

In one of my heats last night I was leading by a considerable margin and ended up passing a couple of back markers, however on the last bend of the last lap I was trying to get past another when I was caught by someone who I had lapped, and ended up on the infield. By the time I had recovered I crossed the line in 6th place.

After much swearing and cursing at the monitor I had a look at the replay and put it down to a pure racing accident, FILTERED happens.

In the final I started from the third row from the back and managed to get into 8th place when I was involved in an accident and once again ended up on the infield. By the time I had got off the sleepers I was in last place and had been lapped by a few drivers. I managed to claw my way up to 16th and ended up behind a driver who had lapped me and I was lapping at a similar speed.

Here's the dilema.

Do I sit behind him and wait for him to make a mistake, or do I try move him with my bumper risking spinning him and ruining his race and maybe get a complaint against me, bearing in mind I dont know if he is first or tenth :shrug:

Please feel free to comment and maybe admin would like to clarify the rules on this situation.

Mr Beef

Personally I would sit behind him .. but that is just me ... and I have been told I'm too easy on people.

Well my opinion for what it's worth is , if you are faster than him by all means pass him , why should you sit behind him and let other people catch you? this is stock car racing after all , the contact is i suspect why most people like it? :5:

you can tap people wide with these no need to ruin anybodys race , although sometimes you can make a mistake like me sunday niight , i hit Matt on the last bend to try and get 2nd place and ended up spinning him AND me , anyway i ended up 8th when i could have been 3rd , do what you feel is right imo. :thumbup:

Edit: In all honesty beef , people know if you hit with the intention of fencing them or making a fair hit.

Edited by paulp146

1 more thing , would you like these if we all followed each other without any contact or overtaking?

The unpredictability of the formula is what keeps me hooked , never knowing whats going to happen on the next bend is what i personally love about them :5:

Bumpers are on these for a reason, you could talk about it all you like but at the end of the day it's up to you , you are the person driving the car , if i hit somebody i fully expect a hit from them in another race/meeting , if you give you gotta be able to take :thumbup:

thats my 2 cents anyway. ;)

Personally, if I thought the guy was probably a lap up, I would not take many risks of taking him out at all as I know how I would feel if someone a lap down started bashing me about, but there again I am very unlikely to be quicker than anyone so doubt this would be my dilemma :unsure::thumbup:

If I'm in heavy traffic with someone quicker behind me I often let them past, that way they have to do all the hard work moving people out of the way and you nearly always get chance to go back past as they get slowed down.

If I was in 16th and a lap down I would probably just sit behind the car in front unless I was loads quicker. They can always let you past rather than put up a fight... If I was 10th I'd probably try and get past as there's more of a chance of picking up a few points if there's a crash in front.

If it's for higher places, particularly top 3 I fully expect to be hit (Paul!) - as would most people I imagine.

Well, personally, I would make a move, but without hitting, maybe a tap. If I know the guy in front is a lap up, I might try and pass him if I'm faster, but not take him out.

From what I understand, in real life rules, it is a contact sport, and you are allowed to hit people. Whilst it is frustrating getting passed by a backmarker, I'm sure it is allowed. However most drivers in real life are respectfull of each other and have the courtesy to move over and not ruin drivers races who are a lap up. The question is, do we have that here?

I don't see why you should sit behind, similarly I don't think you have to move over for lapping drivers either. At the end of the day, it needs to be down to the driver in question's judegement, do you risk passing with the chance of annoying the driver a lap up and getting fired next corner and do you risk not letting a fast driver through and up being moved out of the way for your troubles.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Here's the dilema.

Mr Beef

Noone can answer that for you.

The only thing I can say is that when u try to pass him and he gets taken out by u, u run the risk of facing a complaint.

Whether or not a ban will issued is a diferent story........

Put urself in his shoes..........

Ur up in top 10 and some guy who u lapped is right behind u.

Tapping away, but u manage to hold ur position.

Would u like that or does it make u nervous, cause u know if he gets it wrong ur taken out ???

If u know the answer to that, then u know what to do next time ur behind a guy who lapped you.

Edited by MC388

What if the guy/gal doesn't know you are a lap down defends his/her position when you are trying to pass without harming his/her race and when/if you do make a safe pass they bury you thinking you are on the same lap!!! It can also depend on whether you have something left to race for - if your race is over drop back else do what you feel comfortable doing, all drivers react differently, its just a case of weighing them up then doing what you feel is right at the time.

Me personally, I would pull over and allow the lapped driver through if I felt he wouldn't hinder me when he goes by (assuming I knew he was a lap down) thus giving me more breathing space to circulate without added pressure. If I was being lapped and still in the race I would more than likely be stubborn, but wouldn't intentionally damage that drivers race (unless of course I had a grudge :o ). Even in heat I try and stay on the lead lap (ie not allowing the leader to pass me) so that I may gain some places on the last lap if drivers challenging for places spin or crash out.

I can understand your annoyance Mr.Beef, but it happens.

However most drivers in real life are respectfull of each other and have the courtesy to move over and not ruin drivers races who are a lap up.

You should watch Murray Harrison!!

And see where that got him at Kings Lynn!

Which is why I said most. There are drivers who are don't show any courtesy or respect to anyone else (97, 462, 65) a few I can think of off the top of my head. But as it ha been mentioned, these drivers often get into lots of trouble and have enemys or crash a lot.

Ultimately, I think the choice is yours as to how you wish to race, but use your judgement as to what you think is best, don't hit for the sake of it as you may regret it later on.

Usually if I know I'm being lapped I leave a little room for them to get through, otherwse you will only end up in the wall for not moving, and I only pass a driver a lap up if I'm sure I can do it without harming their race and I have something to gain from it, otherwise it isn't worth it.

why do this type of post bring people out of the wood work mmmmmm :3:

u got replay of the race beef as rf will automaticly save it if its setup to do so or what heat was it as i like to look @ replay my self

C:\Program Files\rFactor\ReplayFridge\Replays

To be honest you have to kind of take into account how much faster you are... if you are say a quarter of a second faster than them you have a decent enough reason as you could breach a gap and theoretically start catchign up again. if you are the same/similar speed there is no reason unless you feel that the points could be critical towards a title etc.

The rest is up to you.

Lee

Not sue if I'm allowed to reply as I don't race these.

In previous years of racing, if the driver behind is not listed as behind me on leaderboard, I tend to let them through, as they are either lap up or lap down, especially if you are racing for position. Play safe.

If its me behind and I'm quicker and have been on there bumper for a few laps (rare I know), then I will knock them wide hoping they have sense not to blast me next corner. Only means next race they are buried.

Not sue if I'm allowed to reply as I don't race these.

Yup you arent allowed to reply, get back into the woodwork!

:thumbup:

Edited by AlbNZ

don't listen to albNZ ranny

feel free to comment :thumbup:

Edited by walker

Albz right.

Shut it Ranny!

(Or better still, get back racing F1's, I miss you. :thumbup:)

If I can get the time to get my head round Rfactor, I would like another go. Me and Al going for wooden spoon - happy days.

Problem is poker, takes a lot of my free time nowadays but at least I've got a free vegas holiday out of it next June.

To laugh that the comments on this page.... I THOUGHT IT SAID RFACTOR F1! when i clicked on the icon, i still read about the 1's... and when i get more time or the odd nite free i will return and have a blast round.. but reading this might have to take the bumpers of steel off and replace them with a contact bleeping warning device by the sounds of it :rolleyes:

To laugh that the comments on this page.... I THOUGHT IT SAID RFACTOR F1! when i clicked on the icon, i still read about the 1's... and when i get more time or the odd nite free i will return and have a blast round.. but reading this might have to take the bumpers of steel off and replace them with a contact bleeping warning device by the sounds of it :rolleyes:

It might sound like that ... but perhaps the other way to think about it is ... common curtesy ...

We are all playing a game .......... check

We are all here to have fun .......... check

Hitting people fairly is fun .......... check

Racing hard is normal ........... check

Fencing people just because .......... not checked

Spoiling someones evening .......... not checked

This is a contact sport we all are saying that ... The new people are just trying to find out the level of contact that is considered acceptable and fun. There is no point fencing someone just because and then not being able to race online for the next 'X' amount of time .... Far better in that situation to not fence then and race next week with slightly less points!

To laugh that the comments on this page.... I THOUGHT IT SAID RFACTOR F1! when i clicked on the icon, i still read about the 1's... and when i get more time or the odd nite free i will return and have a blast round.. but reading this might have to take the bumpers of steel off and replace them with a contact bleeping warning device by the sounds of it

Have to agree;

Here, in no particular order are some of the quotes on and around rf race chat and on the forum that I have seen since RF "started", note these are genuine quotes, the names have been removed to protect the originators from shame

"This is a new culture"

"The new guys are the ones we want to keep turning up every week"

"We should only hit hard in major championships"

"XXXX" took me out, I saw red"

"Dont sit back and let the morons drive out the quality people"

As LLoydy from Preston Front used to say..............."makes me laugh"!!

Here, in no particular order are some of the quotes on and around rf race chat and on the forum that I have seen since RF "started", note these are genuine quotes, the names have been removed to protect the originators from shame

"This is a new culture"

..sound like quotes taken from Kevin Keegan's next autobiography

To laugh that the comments on this page.... I THOUGHT IT SAID RFACTOR F1! when i clicked on the icon, i still read about the 1's... and when i get more time or the odd nite free i will return and have a blast round.. but reading this might have to take the bumpers of steel off and replace them with a contact bleeping warning device by the sounds of it

Have to agree;

"This is a new culture"

As LLoydy from Preston Front used to say..............."makes me laugh"!!

mr beefs made a valid point of racing, so why come in here and stir up FILTERED :shrug:

Edited by HUTCH

Aye, perfectly reasonable thread with a valid point and people who don't even race rFactor seem to think they know best. :blink:

You don't like it fine, you've made your point, why even read this thread then? To stir it up as usual.

Edited by Kruiz 136

people who don't even race rFactor seem to think they know best. :blink:

Did i say that :shrug: but ever since i been watching stock car or racing them online.... apart from big al and ali p longer than most who have responded.. think i do know how, and to be honest... pussy footing round won't get you winning the world.... if it means feather bumpers... minimal contact.... tell where that comes into Stock Car racing... or have i been watching for 30 years a totally different formula that you call stock car ????

Edited by Budge313

people who don't even race rFactor seem to think they know best. :blink:

Did i say that :shrug: but ever since i been watching stock car or racing them online.... apart from big al and ali p longer than most who have responded.. think i do know how, and to be honest... pussy footing round won't get you winning the world.... if it means feather bumpers... minimal contact.... tell where that comes into Stock Car racing... or have i been watching for 30 years a totally different formula that you call stock car ????

Yeah, but going in all guns blazing on every corner against anyone won't get you anywhere in rFactor or indeed in real life, you will just spin out or get taken out. Simple as that.

I can't think of a successful driver who is overally aggresive. Stuart Smith won the World Final this year by being fast and giving Matt Newson a small tap wide, so he could get through.

In the same meeting, Ed Neachell buried Murray Harrison and recieved a 12 month ban.

Drivers who are very aggresive are not very succesful drivers. Mo Smith, the Squires from times gone by could all have been so much better if they cooled it a bit. 462 Scott Davids from the current racing scene is too aggresive. He is very aggresive, never hols back and when I first saw him race I thought 'he will be blue or even red' such is his pace. He now finds himself struggling to hold onto yellow as he makes a mess of things all the time.

The most successful drivers in the sport have been, Lund, Wainmans, Cronshaw, Harrisons etc etc.

Sure they have all be known to hit hard occasionally when it is needed, but more often than not they look for the gaps, drive fast and clean. That way you gain respect and go faster. Hitting cars slows you down which is drivers like Mo Smith, Rob Squires etc downfall.

Nobodys saying its glass bumpers, I've dished out some big hits, I do usually once or twice a meeting, just ask MoR (who I practise on lol and likewise with him), but theres a time and place for it. Its not needed all the time, I actually do think your watching the wrong sport, becuase what I watch is not big hits every corner on anything in sight.

Budge, drive a meeting rFactor, hit every car in front of you as hard as you can, and I gaurentee you will not score anymore than 1 point. That goes for real life too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..