UKDIRT PAYED MEMBERS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Pedz 212

What do we wish to do with member only being able to post on ie f1,f2,bangers areas

: quote Kev149 :

This is an interesting concept that I've not really thought about. Changing who can see what on the forum is not a big problem, however I'll give you some options as to what can be done. As always any ideas will be considered.

Each forum can be set as follows:

Members can see the forum (Y/N)

Members can read the topics (Y/N) - Using this control and the one above it's possible for members to see a forum but not read it!

Members can reply to topics (Y/N)

Members can start topics (Y/N)

Members can upload to that forum (Y/N)

Paid up UKDirt members can be put in their own group and have different settings to those ordinary members (at the moment we all have the same settings):

Different maximum file size for uploads (currently 7MB for all)

Can be allowed to use attachments in PM's (Y/N)

Can vote in polls (Y/N)

Can use avatars/signatures (Y/N)

If we wanted various things to be viewed by paid up members only then I suggest paid up members are transferred to another group (not a problem) and given different settings (again not a problem). What would be a great help is if we could all put our ideas together and create a sort of FAQ section where we can direct new members. We could (off the top of my head) included such sections as

-- preparing yourself to race

-- skinpainting

-- getting your car into the game

-- rendering

-- anything else you can think of

so...........

i say nonpayed cant post(read only) on main league threads,maybe have a special thread for general ?

plz

plz

plz

put what u think lads plz

this is a gr8 forum kev is paying for lets keep it runnin 24/7 and it way faster then the old rsc was thumbup.gif

post one or more ideas plz

Edited by Pedz 212

i say non payed cant post read only

agree 100% only problem i can see, if a new driver wants to race but is having problems settin up ect,maybe a have a area were they then can post as non- paying members

Edited by jamesy

agree 100% only problem i can see if a new driver wants to race but is have problems settin up ect,maybe a have a area were then then can post as non- paying numbers

agree with both of your post's  thumbup.gif

agree 100% only problem i can see if a new driver wants to race but is have problems settin up ect,maybe a have a area were then then can post as non- paying numbers

agree with both of your post's  thumbup.gif

yep i'd agree with all members can read and post everywhere, non-members have read/write in help and support only.

shrug.gif  its not perfect and not welcoming for prospective members but i think our hand's been forced

I agree it's a good idea, but would this mean the BWS part of the forum would only be for ukdirt members only ? and also skin painting forum and computer help  ?

If it's possiable then maybe just restrict the F1's, F2s, Bangers etc  ?

shrug.gif

Munster.

gd point about bws m8

it can be moved imo and has never really had any crap or spam posts like the main league topics

PS JUST DONT READ THIS THREAD ......POST PLZ!!!!!

end of the day we race the league and we need the forum as part of the league,kev has given us a cracker of a forum and wish to keep it or do we go back to rsc and wait minutes for pages to load etc

PPS im not against the non payers but its peeps from other leagues user ukdirt forum for info as we are the best and they wish to be like use but with there free league

Edited by Pedz 212

Guest crackpot

For what it's worth (being a none paying member), I thought I'd give you my ideas.  I think you should maybe....

Make all main forums Read Only to none payers.

Introduce a FAQ section.

Allow none payers to still use PM facillity, then if they do want advice on getting started, they will feel there is still somewhere they can get help..... Unless of course you want to create a Help forum, where questions can be asked and answed, as aposed to trawling through the help topics and still maybe not getting the answer they want.......The personal touch is always best, IMHO

Withdraw the upload/file attachment facillity from PM section

I would suggest leaving the Computer Help/Real Life Racing/Non-League, Off Topic sections open for none paying members still, as it's possible (especially in the computer help) they might have something to offer in here that paying members may be greatful of.

Anyway, thats my 2 peneth, for what it's worth.

Great forum guys !!!!!  thumbup.gif

I think...

All Uk Dirt league sections as members only and non-payers can only read.

Non-league, computer help, off topic etc for everyone to post in.

Also an faq section should be created as mentioned already as it seems every day some newbie is asking 'how do i start', 'how do i do this', 'where do i get this' etc etc.

Cheers

For what it's worth (being a none paying member), I thought I'd give you my ideas.  I think you should maybe....

Make all main forums Read Only to none payers.

Introduce a FAQ section.

Allow none payers to still use PM facillity, then if they do want advice on getting started, they will feel there is still somewhere they can get help..... Unless of course you want to create a Help forum, where questions can be asked and answed, as aposed to trawling through the help topics and still maybe not getting the answer they want.......The personal touch is always best, IMHO

Withdraw the upload/file attachment facillity from PM section

I would suggest leaving the Computer Help/Real Life Racing/Non-League, Off Topic sections open for none paying members still, as it's possible (especially in the computer help) they might have something to offer in here that paying members may be greatful of.

Anyway, thats my 2 peneth, for what it's worth.

Great forum guys !!!!!  thumbup.gif

good post and it get's my  thumbup.gif  for it thumbup.gif

i think one general topic is need for non paid members to write in for help and such things. If we want to raise up the number of drivers in each league we can not close everything. This site is at the moment already very difficult for newbies to get into (ukdirt and bulletin board)

Main question is: "what are we trying to achieve with non Jolt paying members being locked out of certain parts of the forum"? And secondly, does it solve the problem?

Personally I don't see what the current problem is as I haven't seen the effects to the forum of the non payed posters.

If it is like Pedz says to bring down the amount of posts by non paying members then I don’t think the proposed idea is answer. If the non payers still want to ask a F1, F2, SSC or whatever subject, they will post it in the "public" thread and not in the F1 thread. The amount of posts stays the same, it's just located at a different place on the forum. The only positive thing about this is that the payed members sections will be "cleaner" post wise.

If you want to bring down the bandwith/posts from non members, then the only solution is to make the entire forum for payed Jolt members only (like Grasser says). That way you are sure that the posts on the forum are from members only. Downside is that this will not attract any new members.

You can't stop people that run a free league to get info from our UK Dirt league. There is a Dutch free league that is set up somewhere last year. The best thing they can do is have a look on our forum and see how things are organized. They still have a lot to learn but why go and invent the wheel again? Funny part of this is that they even have some sort of UK Dirt awards. The categories are an exact copy/translation of what is summed up in our UK Dirt awards (once again I cant fault them for that and they are not doing something illegal).

Which brings us back to the questions I asked at the start of this post.

Just my 2 eurocents worth.

Dragon

Edited by Dragon 428

Main question is: "what are we trying to achieve with non Jolt paying members being locked out of certain parts of the forum"? And secondly, does it solve the problem?

Personally I don't see what the current problem is as I haven't seen the effects to the forum of the non payed posters.

If it is like Pedz says to bring down the amount of posts by non paying members then I don’t think the proposed idea is answer. If the non payers still want to ask a F1, F2, SSC or whatever subject, they will post it in the "public" thread and not in the F1 thread. The amount of posts stays the same, it's just located at a different place on the forum. The only positive thing about this is that the payed members sections will be "cleaner" post wise.

I agree with Dragon, I just don't see what it's going to achieve tbh. At the end of the day when the money is coming out of Kev's pocket I'm happy to go along with whatever he feels is best, I do feel it's about time that UK-Dirt took over paying for it's forum though even though I know that it was Kev's idea to run things as they are and that he is more than happy doing that.

I agree with Dragon, I just don't see what it's going to achieve tbh. At the end of the day when the money is coming out of Kev's pocket I'm happy to go along with whatever he feels is best, I do feel it's about time that UK-Dirt took over paying for it's forum though even though I know that it was Kev's idea to run things as they are and that he is more than happy doing that.

i am lost when this forum goes down and was very surprised when kev said he pays for it out of his own pocket,i haven't a clue what the cost's are just on outlay not including kev's time spent on it.

surely if we are going to keep this a "free" open forum then kev has to be paid for this service even if it's just for the fees he has to pay for, surely uk dirt isnt oblivious to the fact that this forum has gained and im sure will continue to gain many more members in the future rather than just word of mouth which inevitably will run out but advertising never does(just like this forum is doing) thumbup.gif

Locking people out of the forum is possibly the best way I've heard yet of killing the leagues.

If it bothers anyone that freeloaders are getting help and advice, then it's simple enough to have eveyone's UKDirt subscription status under their avatar- "Sponging Get/Paid Member" or whatever. People can make their own minds up whether they want to help people then.

Knocking the file uploads on the head/restricting them would probably save most of the bandwidth + storage, but only Kev has the stats for that.

The only reason why there is a fee for UK-Dirt is because of the JOLT-servers and NOT because of this forum.

Its a free forum and should stay like that, but I do believe that Kev should be payed for the use of his webspace/bandwidth.

And also I didnt know that Kev payed it out of his own pocket  scared15.gif

Cheers MC

I don't see the problem with this being an open forum,

but

I totally agree that Kev149 should not be paying for this forum out of his own pocket.   3.gif

but

if we (as a community) start paying for it then I don't think anyone other than ukdirt paid up members should have access so its a bit of a Catch22 situation...  shrug.gif

Answers on a used £10 note to Tugs charity collection  rofl.gif

does this mean non payed ukdirters like myself at the minute will no longer be able to use various sections of the forum? i do intend on coming back in the future. but working evenings and renovating makes online racing a no no right now. i think it should be left as it is to be honest

i forgot to add. i agree that kev should no way pay for this server. instead of buying trophys??? put it towards the servers

Edited by bigben36

Well i think the best way is 2 make the f1 f2 ect sections not free but the skin painting real life section ect must be free because there are some people who make the greatest skin greatest renders ect 4 you all but don't pay for jolt.

cheers pacco.

• 2 months later...

sorry for bumping up an old thread but have'nt been here too much of late. I belong to several forums which operate a similar system to what you're proposing and I have to say it works well for 2 reasons.

1. It encourages people to contribute rather than just spam

2. For UKDirt and in particular Kev why should people who don't contribute get full access to a forum that they don't pay for.

IMHO I think it's a great idea that only paid up members get full access that way you'll encourage the non-members to join up as if nothing else they then get access to a lively and vibrant forum + getting the chance to race in a top set of leagues.

cheers and I'm going to get off my soap box now as I think I've got Vertigo :2:

I can see where people are coming from on both sides of the argument,

but my opion is that it should stay free to everyone, before i became a member i red this forum for a long while and its what convinced me to join, seeing the cars people made, seeing screen shots from games and people posting up stuff that happened in races, reports and genral UK Dirt stuff i enjoyed reading.

I do think however that the non payers should have slightly less options availble to them, such as signitures, avaitors, maby not be able to PM? and maby not be able to view or use Smilies? just some genral things like that, give them limited content, this will make UK Dirt membership more exclusive and further more justify the cost to sign up.

If there a problems with non members spamming or being a nuscince you could ban them temporaly or perminatly, but not ban them on user name cause they can just re-register but ban them on there IP, iv seen this happen on other websites and forums, so that should filter out any trouble makers and then we can carry on being a happy well run organisation :thumbup:

And Kev should't have to pay for the forum out of his own pocket, if we all club together wed probely end up paying pennies each

anyway thats my views

Rikard :2:

Firstly, Kev should NOT pay towards the forum, hes already put enough into it as it is.

I think that there are enough 'free' racing leagues out there. On that note, I think that the two weeks free jolt period should be scrapped, as people can sign into a free leauge and get the idea wether they wil benifit from joining jolt or not.

As Rikard said, limit non-members on what use that they can and cant get from the forum. Totaly shunning them could just turn away new members that could be a benefit to the forum.

What do we wish to do with member only being able to post on ie f1,f2,bangers areas

: quote Kev149 :

This is an interesting concept that I've not really thought about. Changing who can see what on the forum is not a big problem, however I'll give you some options as to what can be done. As always any ideas will be considered.

Each forum can be set as follows:

Members can see the forum (Y/N)

Members can read the topics (Y/N) - Using this control and the one above it's possible for members to see a forum but not read it!

Members can reply to topics (Y/N)

Members can start topics (Y/N)

Members can upload to that forum (Y/N)

Paid up UKDirt members can be put in their own group and have different settings to those ordinary members (at the moment we all have the same settings):

Different maximum file size for uploads (currently 7MB for all)

Can be allowed to use attachments in PM's (Y/N)

Can vote in polls (Y/N)

Can use avatars/signatures (Y/N)

If we wanted various things to be viewed by paid up members only then I suggest paid up members are transferred to another group (not a problem) and given different settings (again not a problem). What would be a great help is if we could all put our ideas together and create a sort of FAQ section where we can direct new members. We could (off the top of my head) included such sections as

-- preparing yourself to race

-- skinpainting

-- getting your car into the game

-- rendering

-- anything else you can think of

i agree but im easy as i finally paid up not that long ago :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

I agree with that. :thumbs_up:

i agree aswell, but they should be able to post in a forum for help with UK Dirt and the mods

that way if they have the game running smoothly they will be more inclined to pay up

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..